Sunday, January 8, 2012

Home for the Holidays....sort of.

Tucker and I somehow survived the end of the semester and made it home for Christmas break.  Sadly, just a few days after we got home, I ended up with a bad cold and Tucker came down with some sort of stomach virus.  Regardless, all medications in hand, we loaded up and drove down to Lyons, GA to see my dad's side of the family. 

Tucker did well in the new environment though he was mad that I wouldn't let him have free reign of the lodge... I was worried about the fate of the Christmas tree.  We ventured into downtown Lyons and Vidalia one day (yes, the place that grows those awesome onions) and I was really impressed with how well Tucker was accepted.  Small towns have a tendency to question his validity - they don't see these dogs as often - but Lyons and Vidalia businesses rarely even wanted to see his ID.  There was only one place that wasn't thrilled about it - a small restaurant - but they let him in anyway. 

My cousins hosted a tacky Christmas Eve party and Tucker participated for a few minutes, sporting a precious tacky Christmas sweater covered in reindeer. :)  He wasn't a big fan of the long sleeves though, so I didn't make him keep it on for long.  He did a great job and played well with the kids, especially the younger ones.  I told the kids to ask him to sit before they gave him his toys and he did very well listening to them. 

One thing that will never cease to amaze me is how many people are afraid of Tucker - even when he's wearing his jacket.  On the way back from GA, we walked into a Burger King and the poor woman behind the counter screamed and jumped back from the register.  She settled down, but as luck would have it, a few minutes later Tucker decided to bark out of the blue.  I don't know what got into him - he's never done anything like that in a restaurant before.  The manager got a kick out of it, but the workers weren't so thrilled. 

We got back home the day after Christmas and left the next day for Durham to see my grandparents.  Tucker did well though he did seem somewhat frustrated that he didn't get to stay home with Kalli for very long.  We took him out to the mall a few times and he did a great job.  He has perfected his "I need to park" warning system, so no accidents!  When he needs to go, I also ask him to find the door, so he's slowly learning that as well. 

One of my cousins came to visit one day and brought her daughter who has Angelman Syndrome.  She has pretty jerky movements and the last time she and Tucker met she may have accidentally pulled a tail reaching for me... ;)  At any rate, they did very well this time, and I think Tucker was old enough to understand that she was a little different.  Although she's got a vice grip, he let her play with his ears and then his dog tags.  He was very good, though he had to be reminded on occasion that her toys were not for him to play with. 

When we got home from Durham on Friday afternoon, I packed up again and Tucker and I drove to Tennessee to see my mentors from my senior exit project (the people who introduced me to Leader Dog).  Saturday Roy wanted to take Tucker to a gun show to see how he would work in public and I tagged along to watch.  I stayed behind them observing.  Tucker did a great job!  Roy was really impressed with him, and only had to correct him once or twice.  Tucker didn't seem to mind working with Roy at all and he stayed on a nice loose leash. 

The next day, Suzie and I took him down to the Greenway to work on around and come.  She was really impressed with how well he walked on a loose leash, and she said he really wasn't as bad with around and come as I thought he was, that he just needed more practice. 

We attempted to leave for home Sunday night, but as I started down the road, my car started having issues.  So, we stayed another night and took Tucker and Apache for another walk at the Greenway the next morning while my car was in the shop.  I worked with Tucker that day, and he was good, but he definitely found it harder to focus working around Apache.  It was good practice for him!

Since we've been home, he's had a harder time behaving.  Honestly, I think he just needs to get back into the hustle and bustle of college life - I think he's bored.  We took him shopping yesterday, and that seemed to help, but he still just seems frustrated with the break.  Even though he's always seemed pretty laid back, I think he's really a working dog at heart and these breaks are hard for him. 

Alien dog in GA

Lyons Welcome Center

Tacky Christmas Eve Party

Visitor Parking... hehe

Unwrapping present just knocked him out. ;)

More Christmas Party pics

Playing with Grace

Helping me check my email.

Waiting for me to finish trying on clothes in the mall.

Conquering the 'scary' stairs in the mall.  After he made it up once, it was no big deal. :)

Letting Grace play with his face. :)
Jealous puppy :)  Grace was snuggling with me so Tucker wanted to, too.

3 comments:

  1. First off, I wonder if the people who jump back when they see Tuck aren't jumping out of fear but rather out of being startled. I mean, I wouldn't be expecting a dog to just waltz into Burger King.

    Also, those stairs are scary because they don't have backs. What if you fall in between the stairs? I wrote eight pages about staircases in Adv Comp and got laughed at... imagine that.

    <>< Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job, Chelsea! Tucker is doing great, and I think I agree with you that he might be bored "not working." Great photos, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor guy....I would hate that sweater too!
    Glad to see you getting some much needed R&R this break. :-)

    ReplyDelete