Friday, May 18, 2012

Saying Goodbye

To say this has been an emotional week would be a gross understatement. 

On Monday, I graduated from Gardner-Webb University - a place very near and dear to my heart - and on Thursday, I gave Tucker back to Leader Dogs for the Blind. 

I was nervous about graduation because I was giving a speech and feared that Tucker might pick the most inopportune moment to act out.  Thankfully, he did a marvelous job, and made me very, very proud.  I was also concerned because I was somewhat afraid that he would see our special guests in the audience - Roy and Suzie Ferguson, Linda, and her Leader Dog "Disney."  He did much better with Disney than I had anticipated.  He still wanted to play, but he held it in better than he ever has before. 

Seeing Linda and Disney work together definitely helped when it came time to take Tucker back to Leader Dogs on Thursday, but I still miss him more than I can truly explain.  When you've had a little yellow shadow for 11 months straight, and then suddenly he isn't there, it's a big adjustment.  Dropping him off was made at least somewhat easier by the fact that he was excited by all the new sights and smells and didn't act nervous or afraid.  They said he would have his x-rays taken on Monday, and then, assuming he isn't chosen for breeding stock, would be neutered towards the end of the week.  Assuming his physical exam goes well, he is due to begin training on June 4th. 

Despite the pain of giving him back, I wouldn't trade this past year for the world.  I learned to have more patience, be less of a perfectionist, and put his needs before my own.  He taught Gardner-Webb about service dogs, and I think many of the students, faculty, and staff there will miss him more than they originally thought possible.  He was an excellent ambassador for Leader Dogs, and accompanied me to five different conferences - braving the airport for two of them.  Though I will miss him, I know that he has a higher purpose, and I can only hope and pray that his new handler will love him more than I do, and experience a new level of independence. 

The list is so long that I cannot begin to name everyone without leaving someone out, but please know that if you helped with Tucker in any way over this past year, that I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  (And a big thank you to my Dad who drove all the way there and back to help me turn him in.) We couldn't have done it without you. 

Enjoy the pictures.  I'll post updates from Leader Dog here as I get them.



Photo taken for the Gardner-Webb Magazine -Photo Cred - Mark Houser

From left to right: Dr. Tom Jones, Me, James Withrow, Derek Breakfield, Hillary Leonard, Matthew Lienberger (sp?), Hannah Riener, and of course, Tucker, front and center.


Me and Tucker post-graduation


Me and Tucker with our special guests - Linda and Leader Dog Disney, Suzie Ferguson, and Roy Ferguson

1 comment:

  1. Oh congratulations Chelsea! And thank you for raising such a wonderful puppy for Leader Dogs. This is a wonderfully written and heartfelt post. Thanks for sharing. And hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete