Monday, February 27, 2012

Life of the Scholarly Puppy

Tucker went to his first (and more than likely last) golf tournament last week.  My old roommate/best friend is on the women's golf team here at GWU, so we drove down to Spartanburg to watch her play.  While I thought this would be a perfect outing for Tucker (ie, outside, lots of walking), he had other ideas.  Once the tourney began, he whined almost constantly.  I didn't know it was possible, but he whined for roughly 17 holes.  He also refused to stop pulling on the leash, which meant he got to wear the "Gentle Leader" for about five hours.  That did not improve his mood, in case you were wondering. 

Why was the puppy unhappy?  I have no idea.  If I had to guess, I'd say it was partially that he could see Courtney and didn't understand why she couldn't come say hi to him, and partially the start-stop-start-stop pace of golf.  But really, who knows.  Thankfully, it was windy enough that as long as we hung back a ways, the golfers couldn't really hear him whining.  His cuteness also won over the other coaches, which was nice since I was afraid they would see Tucker as a distraction for their players. 

Switching gears somewhat, Tucker and I had the pleasure of presenting at LOTS MC here on Saturday (Life of the Scholar Multidisciplinary Conference).  My presentation focused on what I'm doing with Tucker this year and how puppy raising is in fact a type of service-learning.  To my utter amazement, we tied for first place with Courtney, and my friend Erica!  (I'd say I have somewhat of an unfair advantage.  I think the puppy just gives the judges an extra happy feeling. ;)  )  Although it was a long day, and he had to sit through several presentations, he did a really nice job.  Let's hope he will be so kind when we present this again for Alpha Chi and Honors next month! 

Saturday night, Mom and Dad came to GWU to take me and Courtney out to dinner and to pick up Tucker.  I went horseback riding with Honors on Sunday, so they kept him for me.  They dropped him off Sunday afternoon at the stables in Lake Lure, and we (Dr. Jones and some honors kids) started home.  However, we decided to take a detour first.  Dr. Jones thought there was a fudge shop in downtown Chimney Rock that we might enjoy.  When we arrived, we discovered it was actually an ice cream shop - Homemade Ice Creams or something like that - right next to Coffee on the Rocks.  Due to Tucker's size, most shop owners don't even question his legitimacy when we walk in, and those that do have almost always satisfied when I pull out his Leader Dog ID.  Well, Mr. Ice Cream man was not.  We hadn't been in the shop more than thirty seconds when he jumped down my throat.  I told him Tucker was a service dog in training and that he had an ID.  He angrily requested to see it, and when I handed it to him, he looked at it for a whopping half a second before handing it back and telling me to get out and that Tucker wasn't allowed.  While I recognize that the rules surrounding dogs in training are hazy, there's just no need to be nasty.  Dr. Jones took him from me and headed outside to wait, but I followed him out and took Tuck back.  I don't support people who don't support me.  There are way too many nice restaurant and business owners for me to waste my time and money on one so rude and closed minded.

While I was outside fuming, I noticed that Coffee on the Rocks cafe was right next door.  As I was contemplating asking them if I could come in, the owner stepped outside.  I asked him about it and he replied that Tucker could come in with or without his jacket, whatever he preferred. :)  So, I decided my money was better spent buying coffee from nice people.  So now the Chimney Rock ice cream store joins Papa's Pizza in Boiling Springs for food vendors I never intend to support again.  Yes, I realize that losing my business is of no concern to them - but if no one ever stands up for what they know is right, then nothing will ever change.  There is no biological difference between a puppy in training and a service dog, so why aren't well behaved puppies allowed equal access?  Is it bad that after places give me the cold shoulder or kick me out, I always hope the next day they find themselves faced with a service dog they can't refuse?  People are so incredibly closed minded.  Most children are more of a menace than Tucker! 

Okay, rant over, but seriously, think about it, and if you ever see a raiser and well behaved puppy kicked out of a business or restaurant, think twice about whether you want to support that mindset. 

  I would load a picture of the golf tourney, but GWU internet is being ridiculous as usual.  The photos are on my facebook if you'd like to see them. 

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad I am not the only one who gets flustered when I am told to leave. There has only been one place that insisted I leave after I.D. and such. I have never been back and I don't intend to. Also, when people in the community found out they won't eat there anymore either. Good rant. I agree. ESPECIALLY when they are well behaved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worry about having such a negative public reaction. According to the ADA laws, a service dog in training for North Carolina & South Carolina have the SAME rights as a full working service (or guide) dog. Businesses that discriminate against the public face up to a $1000 fine. My coordinator has said to always mention that... a lot of times places change their tune. Of course, you can always report such businesses! I hope I don't have to run into anything like this... especially with a puppy (since they're not as well behaved as adult dogs.)

    I'm not sure when your spring break is, but mine is March 13-17. I will be home until that weekend, the 19th. I would love to meet you and Tucker, if you're interested. Annie (my 14 week old black lab) will be here Friday the 9th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, here's the problem. When I first learned about puppy raising, I was told they had full access, but then when I picked Tucker up, Leader Dog told me I still had to ask permission. No one seems to be able to tell me exactly what the laws are and frankly, I don't know how to go about finding out.

      My spring break is the same as yours, but I'll be in Louisiana on a mission trip and Tucker will be in Hendersonville with my parents. Otherwise, I would love to meet you and Annie. Depending on how much time you get for Easter break, maybe we could do something then.

      Delete
    2. Sounds great! Leader dog is in MI, right? Maybe service dogs in training don't have full access rights there? North Carolina's state law is:

      "(b) An animal in training to become a service animal may be taken into any of the places listed in G.S. 168?3 for the purpose of training when the animal is accompanied by a person who is training the service animal and the animal wears a collar and leash, harness, or cape that identifies the animal as a service animal in training. The trainer shall be liable for any damage caused by the animal while using a public conveyance or on the premises of a public facility or other place listed in G.S. 168?3. (1985, c. 514, s. 1; 1987, c. 401, s. 1; 1995, c. 276, s. 1; 1997?443, s. 11A.118(a); 2004?203, s. 62(a); 2005?450, s. 1.)"

      You can see it all at: http://servicedogcentral.org/content/node/33
      When does Tucker go back to Leader Dog?

      Delete