Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Malls Must Go

The rest of our stay in Durham went well, though I was too tired and/or distracted to blog. :) 

Monday night we took Tucker to Northgate Mall to see my Uncle, Aunt, and cousins.  Tucker passed out under my chair almost as soon as we got there.  After we ate, I took Tucker outside for a bathroom break and so my cousins could pet him while his bandana was off.  Later on, Tucker, Mattie, Brittany, and I wandered the mall looking for shoe stores.  Tucker was great the whole evening, and my cousin Cole didn't even realize Tucker was under my chair for almost an hour - he thought we were joking about bringing a puppy in the mall! 

The next day, since the previous shoe shopping had been a bust, Mom, Tucker, and I went out to Southpoint Mall for a few hours.  First - a big thank you to the Macy's staff for being so helpful and not flipping out when Tucker accidentally peed on your floor.  (He had just been out, but he was drinking so much water because of the heat, we just couldn't keep his bladder empty for more than five minutes.) 

Although we found a pair of shoes that might work almost immediately, I had just remembered I'll need some new professional clothes for the honors conference in October.  We'd probably been in the mall just over two hours when we went into The Limited.  Tucker, who by this time had discovered he really hates shopping (although he was still behaving well), tried to solicit help from a mannequin.  While I was looking at a rack of shirts, he snuggled up to the mannequin's feet in an attempt to both get away from me and get a nap.  The employees (who were very nice about Tucker as well as helpful to me) absolutely loved it. 



When we got back to my grandparents' house, Tucker had a little time to play with Zaida before dinner time, which he thoroughly enjoyed.  Soon, however, we were headed right back to the same mall to eat dinner with more family.  When I opened the car door at the mall, Tucker initially stood up to get out, and then, sniffing the air and realizing where we were, immediately shot back down onto the floor of the van. 

Once I got him out of the car, he was fairly agreeable about going into the mall, and he slept for the first hour or so of dinner.  Tucker has been so good about sleeping under the table, that once I feel the leash stop moving, I often forget to check on him.  Well, I was engrossed in the conversation at the other end of the table when my Mother started laughing her head off.  When I turned around, she was pointing to the ground.  I looked over and found Tucker completely upside down and sound asleep - and of course, his Leader Dog bandana had shifted so that it was proudly displayed for all the world to see.  :)  After I had laughed so hard I cried, I was going to correct him and make him lie in a more professional manner, but he had already shifted back into a normal position. 



Both dogs did well on the ride home today, although poor Tucker just couldn't seem to get comfortable for a while.  He and Zaida had a wonderful time running around in the backyard.  Watching them is like watching a big truck trying to catch a little sports car - Zaida can run circles around him. 

No, this isn't an action shot - he was actually trying to sleep like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment