Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Not a Kibble in Sight

Sorry there wasn't a blog yesterday.  I didn't remember it until late last night. 

Tucker had a pretty good day on Monday, although it began with quite a few accidents.  He has a habit of trying to ingest his entire water consumption for the day about an hour after breakfast.  Most of the time, he still does a good job of letting me know when he needs to go out, but yesterday morning, he seemed to be very distracted.  For example, he was playing by the front door (wood floor no less) and all of a sudden, he just stopped, looked at me funny and squatted.  I took him outside to finish, which he did, and then brought him back in.  Playing resumed, but then about five minutes later, he had another accident.  It was just strange. 

That afternoon we went back out to my Aunt Joyce's house.  Again, Tucker did an excellent job.  He even let seven month old baby Carter play with his toes!  (I had a hand on his collar, just in case ;) )  The kitten was still very tempting, but he calmed down pretty quickly.

Today, however, was not a happy day for Tucker: he didn't get lunch.  After several days of cutting his lunch in half in preparation, I finally decided to cut lunch out altogether.  He was not happy.  I was concerned that he would be grumpy and behave badly out of frustration, but it was actually quite the opposite.  He decided that if he was really, really sweet, I might feed him.  :)

We decided to go out to the pet store this afternoon and it ended up being quite an outing.  He did well in the pet store until some of the other dogs started barking their heads' off and then he tried to join in.  Thankfully it didn't take too long to get him settled down.

Following the pet store, we went to Target.  Although I had tried several times at this shopping center to get Tucker to park, it had been unsuccessful.   Mom and I split up, so she didn't get to see what happened next.  Tucker parked a #2 in the store.  You'll be happy to know I fought the urge to perform another "crapus interuptus" (mostly because my back is killing me) and just cleaned it up.  If anyone saw, they were gracious enough not to say anything.  What was even better was that I wasn't anywhere near a trashcan, so I had no choice but to carry the little blue, poop-filled bag with me. 

When we got home, I broke down and fed him at 5:20.  His normal dinner time is 6, but without lunch, I just couldn't make him wait any longer.  Amazingly, he still did a very nice "sit stay" for his food.  He's been a much happier camper since then. :)

1 comment: