Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day of Discovery

Today's first discovery was that if you push the water bowl with your nose, it makes cool ripples.  That was followed shortly by, if you push it really hard, a wave comes over the side and onto the floor. :) 

This morning he went with me to an agricultural store where he was once again peppered with, "you look like that talking dog from the Advantix commercial!"  :) We then went to Rite Aid and Ingles where he was again a big hit.  He rode in the baby section of the shopping cart for the first time, and although a little unsure at first, he settled in well and did a great job.  While I was trying to get him to "park" before taking him inside, a mailman practically ran up to us to pet him.  I guess he figured if he made friends early it would be better for him in the long run. ;)

He had his first bathroom accident today which was followed by a couple others.  The first was simply me being stupid.  He slept through is normal lunchtime, and being the chow hound he is, I thought he'd probably just like to eat and then go outside.  Wrong - his bladder was already at capacity.  Thankfully, I had decided to feed him on the vinyl today.  The other two, smaller accidents were both in my room on the carpet, but again, were my fault.  I simply underestimated how fast water travels through a playing puppy.   

Once it cooled off, we went on a walk down part of the road, for which he did very well.  Each day the leash becomes less of a foreign object to him.  Best of all, when we stopped to turn around, I decided to try "sit" and it worked!  He sat on command a few other times and several times with a little prompting (touching his hips).  Strangly, after having done so well for "training", a monster then came and possessed my sweet puppy.  Although the biting had been somewhat better today, he suddenly was obsessed with biting my arms, feet, and whatever else he could reach and no toy could distract him.  A time out did wonders for his attitude.  I think he was just tired and cranky. 

My favorite episode of the day, however, would have to be when I turned on the tv after dinner.  I didn't realize until I turned it on that he'd never really been awake for tv before.  He jumped to my side when the tv buzzed on and then sat mesmerized by the sounds and changing colors.  I think he watched a whole round of commercials before finally settling down for a nap.  It was precious.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment