Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Yep, he's a Lab.

Tucker had a busy day today.  This morning I took him to meet Lee, my dad's friend, at his car dealership.  He met the office cat, Frankie, ran around the showroom, and then took a nap on top of my foot.  :)  When we got home, he was still so tired he slept like a log for almost three hours. 

This afternoon I took him on another short walk down the road and he did very well.  Then we drove to Asheville to meet my cousins Anna and Wesley for dinner.  I brough the small traveling crate I borrowed from the clinic, because I knew I couldn't watch him the whole time.  I was worried what he would do being forced to stay in the crate away from all the action, but he took it all in stride and didn't make a sound. 

This is where the fun begins.  About half an hour after I fed him, a storm rolled in.  I took him outside to park, and while we got #1 out of the way, #2 was elusive.  About two hours later, when the storm was in full force, he acted like he needed to go out.  To my knowledge, this was the first time he's really been rained on, and I wasn't sure what he'd think about it.  He loved it - ergo, he's definitely a Lab.  Although Anna and I stayed with him in the rain until we were all soaked, still no luck.  Once inside, I toweled Tucker off and then wrapped him in a towel like a burrito.  This served two purposes: First, it helped dry him off and made sure he was warm.  Second, it ensured that if the urge did indeed hit suddenly, he would mess on the towel or me and not the floor.  He soon fell asleep and when he woke up, we tried again.  It wasn't raining this time, but it was still a no go.  When we got home, I tried again - no luck.  We played until he looked like he would drop, and I tried again - still no luck.  I've put him to bed now, which probably means he'll wake me up in an hour and want to go out ;). 

Although that spell put somewhat of a "damper" on the day - yes, pun intended - he still did very well all day and best of all, when I asked him if he wanted to go to bed and pointed in his crate, he went in all by himself!  Praise the Lord he's a smart little cookie.

*I didn't proof read this ( I know, English major no no) so if there are typos, just attribute them to a lack of sleep.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I love Puppy Burritos! Mine get a little big though when the dog is like 80lbs. Also, it can give you a little bit of a back ache picking him up.

    ReplyDelete