Friday, June 24, 2011

Meeting the Grandparents

Tucker and I traveled to my grandparents' house today.  They're puppy sitting so I can go to a wedding tomorrow.  As usual, he was very good in the car and charmed the Wendy's staff when we stopped for lunch.  He even caught the eye of a Sheriff's deputy who just had to take out his phone and snap a picture.  I love watching huge men melt at the sight of a puppy.  ;)

He's done a great job at my grandparents' house so far and has enjoyed following them around.  When they stop to do something, he just sits down behind them and stares at them until they turn around. :)  He even got Grandpa to play out in the yard with him.

For dinner, we went to a seafood restaurant.  When we walked in the door and they saw Tucker, they seemed to panic a little.  I showed them my puppy raiser ID card and explained he was a service dog in training.  Their tune then changed to, "Okay, he can stay if we can hold him."  So, after a short meet and greet with the managers, we sat down and he fell asleep beside the table. 

The best part, however, was after we left.  I parked Tucker in the grass outside the entrance and then put him on the sidewalk.  He's still getting used to the leash, so he doesn't normally walk for more than 5-10 feet before getting frustrated and sitting down.  Tonight he walked all the way to the car by himself!  It doesn't sound like much, but I'm hoping it was a milestone in learning to walk on the leash.

By the time we made it back to the car, Tucker's fatigue had reached the point of no return and he seemed to enter into a puppy coma.  Nothing, not even playing with is feet/ears/lips, could wake him.  Thankfully, the nap in the car on the way home recharged his batteries enough to run wild in the backyard. 

Poor Tucker has had to remind me of some things I seem to have forgotten.  For example, after a puppy runs around like a lunatic outside, don't let him suck down water as fast as possible.  :/  Having spent the last several years with an inactive senior dog, I forgot that this combination of events leads to vomiting.  :(  Thankfully, I caught it all in my hands so it didn't get on Granny's kitchen floor.  ;)  (I'm smiling to myself thinking about how many of you are cringing right now and questioning my sanity. lol)

I have several adorable pictures I'd like to share from today, but the uploader is being too slow.  I'll post them when I have a better connection. 

3 comments: