Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Day of Celebrations

Tuesday was long and exciting for Tucker (and me) which is why I'm just now writing the blog. :)

I finally had his name tag made and he spent a few minutes getting used to the added jingle around his neck.  Then we went into town to have lunch at Subway with dad.  The ladies at Subway absolutely love him and couldn't believe how much he'd grown.  We hit the road for Boiling Springs after lunch because Tuesday was Courtney's 21st birthday.  I specifically timed our arrival to coincide with the end of Dr. Eastman's Western Civ class so that some of my friends (and Dr. Eastman) could meet him.  (GWU readers - I got a hug from Dr. Eastman, and it completely made my day :)  )  As usual, everyone, including the seasoned history professor, loved him. 

I spent the next two hours wandering around campus introducing Tucker to new people and dropping in on some of those he met last month.  He met several professors/staff members and even had his picture taken with Dr. Morgan.  Again, he did a lot of walking and was worn out by the time I took him over to Court's house. 

From there we drove to PF Chang's in Charlotte for a massive celebration dinner.  Courtney F was 21, Courtney J had just turned 21, I am about to be 21, Molly got a nursing job, Katie just got married, Kristen and Natalie just became RNs, and Maggie got a job in Ohio.  For a party of 11, that's a lot of celebrations!  We had a great time and Tucker did a wonderful job in the restaurant. 



After we'd placed our orders, Tucker started to get anxious, so I took him out to "park".  Although I knew he really needed to go, he seemed determined to sniff every blade of grass on the curb before doing his business.  Right as a limo pulls up to the curb, Tucker decides it's time to release #2.  His timing is impeccable.  Not only that, but our group was sitting by a window, which means they got to see the whole thing. :) 

Towards the end of the dinner, Tucker was faced with some serious food temptation.  Our waiter didn't really seem to understand Tucker or his purpose, and decided to box up our food about two feet away from him, all the while dropping uncooked rice noodles everywhere.  Although he tried several times to get to said rice noodles, it didn't take him long to realize it wasn't going to happen, and he settled back down.  Just as Tuck was drifting off to sleep again, the waiter dropped more noodles and one landed about four inches from his nose.  He didn't notice.  :) 

By the time we got back to Court's house, it was midnight.  Having slept through most of dinner and the entire ride home, Tucker was ready to play.  I indulged his energy for a few minutes and then made him go to bed.  Surprisingly, he didn't object.  I actually thought he did really well in her house, too.  Even though it was a strange place to him, his only issue was with the balloons tied to the refrigerator door.  :)

This morning, Tara and I took him to the Snack Shop for breakfast.  This place, like Papa's Pizza, is a Boiling Springs fixture and definitely "Mom and Pop".  I was worried they wouldn't let him in, and it did take some convincing, but they eventually agreed to let us sit in what I suppose is their overflow room.  Tucker did well and when we walked up to the register to pay, the girl said, "I didn't hear him bark the whole time!" 

When we got back home today, Tuck had to get his second Distemper-Parvo vaccine and we started him on his Lepto vaccines so he'll have time to get a booster before Big Sweep.  He didn't even seem to notice the first shot, but he wasn't terribly happy with the other.  I also had to give him a flea pill because while we were there, a hospital case who was crawling with fleas came through.  Of course, one of the fleas decided to jump ship on his way through the office and hop onto poor Tucker.  I saw it but I couldn't catch it, and although his Advantage should still be good, we gave him a Capstar pill just to be safe. :)  I don't want fleas in my house. 


2 comments: