Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Kennel

I worked today, and although the original plan was for Tucker to stay home with Mom, she wasn't feeling well this morning, so he was stuck with me. 

Before when he came to work with me, I left his carrier up front with the secretary so he could avoid the craziness of the back of the clinic.  Now, he's too big to send much time in that carrier, so he had no choice but to stay in the kennel room. 

Frankly, I was worried about how he would react to being left in the back with other animals.  Not only would he be able to see me while I was working (and taking care of other dogs, no less), but he would be forced to listen to the constant meowing and barking of our more neurotic patients.  

But, like most things go with Tucker, I was worried for no reason.  He did an awesome job.  From 8am to 5pm, he acted like he'd spent every day of his life in the kennel.  While the other dogs were barking incessantly, he just sat and watched. 

Unfortunately, he didn't get a break at lunch because I hardly got a break.  I only had about half an hour to go get food and get back for the afternoon appointments (it was already after 2pm at this point) and trips are never fast with Tucker.  ( By the way, when I walked into Subway, the girl behind the counter said, "Where's the puppy?"  He's so popular. ;)  )

Although I rushed back to the clinic to play with him for about ten minutes before the appointments started, it wasn't enough.  Around 5pm, he'd had it with the boredom.  Just about every time I went into the kennel room for something, he'd bark and whine.  I couldn't blame him though, I was ready to be finished myself. 

When we got home, I was exhausted and Tucker was hyper.  Thankfully, Mom was feeling better and was able to watch him while I ate something.  He played so hard once we got home that he put himself to bed at 9pm.  :)  It's going to be an early morning tomorrow.
Tucker in the "big dog" cage. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Chelsea! Having Tucker spend time in the kennel is GREAT training for him! When he returns to Leader Dogs it will be old hat for him. :)

    ReplyDelete